- You can easily add skills on LinkedIn to let your colleagues and potential employers see your specializations.
- Your LinkedIn connections can endorse you on a specific skill that you list, serving as a recommendation and confirmation for your skills.
- You can remove skills that you add to your LinkedIn profile at any time.
- Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
If you use LinkedIn to stay in touch with coworkers or to search for jobs, you are probably familiar with the Skills section of your profile. This allows you to highlight the tasks and areas in which you specialize, which your contacts can then validate, further highlighting your qualifications.
This is a section that only takes a few moments to complete, but can do wonders in setting you apart from other candidates in your industry.
You can add up to 50 skills to your LinkedIn profile, all of which your network can support you with with just a few clicks. If you want to boost your relevance in a given area, here’s how to add skills to your profile as well as how to remove those that are no longer applicable.
Here’s how you can add skills on LinkedIn to increase your chances of getting the job of your dreams.
Discover the products mentioned in this article:
Apple Macbook Pro (from $ 1,299.00 at Apple)
Lenovo IdeaPad 130 (from $ 469.99 at Walmart)
How to add skills on LinkedIn
1. Visit LinkedIn on a Mac or PC and sign in to your account.
2. Click “Me” in the toolbar at the top of your screen, then click “View Profile”.
3. On your profile page, click “Add Profile Section” and select “Skills” from the drop-down menu options.
4. In the window that appears, start by typing the name of the skill in the box provided and click on the skill concerned when it appears. It will then be automatically added to your profile.
Note that when skills are added to your profile, you can add more at any time by following steps 1 to 3 above, then clicking the (+) button that appears next to “Skills” in the “Add a profile section” menu.
To remove skills, simply scroll to the “Skills and Approvals” section on your profile page and click the Edit icon, which looks like a small pencil, to launch a pop-up window. Locate the skill you want to remove from your LinkedIn profile and click the X that appears next to that skill to remove it. When you’re done, click “Save.”